It isn’t always easy to wrap your head around the ever-changing digital marketing trends. As a result, it’s necessary to hire a digital marketing consultant to help you with your ongoing marketing campaigns or even develop new ones.
Digital marketing consultancy professionals complement your internal internet marketing team. The two entities work together to deliver the best results possible with each campaign your business sets up.
But how exactly does the digital marketer achieve this? And what are the benefits of hiring one?
What is a Digital Marketing Consultant?
A digital marketing consultant is an individual or organization that specializes in leveraging digital marketing channels to generate leads and increase sales conversions for businesses or companies.
A digital marketing consultant is also called a digital marketing specialist, or an online marketing consultant. Digital marketing encompasses all marketing activities that happen online or through the internet.
Digital marketing consultancy experts have training and professional work backgrounds in advertising, communications, data analytics, behaviour psychology, public relations, business, copywriting, and marketing.
In addition to school-based training in these areas, a successful marketing consultant will take digital marketing courses to keep themselves up-to-date on the ever-changing online marketing techniques.
Extensive training and hands-on experience in these areas make digital marketing consultants ideal for running your business’s digital marketing strategy.
When hiring a digital marketing expert, you’ll want to look at their track record, as seen in testimonials, reviews, and case studies. A good client testimonial indicates that the digital marketer will deliver. The more there are, the better!
What Does a Digital Marketing Consultant Do?
Depending on their expertise, training, and industry, a digital marketing expert offers digital marketing consulting services, such as:
- Social media marketing, which includes enhancing a business’s online presence across various social media platforms
- Content marketing, including production and publishing of content like blog posts, infographics, eBooks, website content, landing pages, white papers, and more
- Email marketing
- Search engine marketing and search engine optimization
- Analytics and evaluation of marketing projects using tools like Google Analytics and Google Search Console
- Online marketing strategy
- Lead generation
- Advertising, including pay-per-click advertising, Facebook ads, and Google ads
- Branding and brand development, including enhancing brand awareness online and offline
- Web design and development
- Online reputation management
7 Benefits of Using a Digital Marketing Consultant
An online marketing consultant benefits your business in many ways. The ones we’ve listed below are just the tip of the iceberg.
1. A Digital Marketing Consultant Saves You Time
In this world, time is of the essence. You want to be able to save time and keep up with current trends.
Without an external digital marketer, a small internal marketing team might not be able to keep abreast of the prevailing marketing strategies.
Furthermore, a digital consultancy agency or expert brings in a fresh business model that involves using automated marketing to quickly execute campaigns.
A digital marketing specialist also saves you time by removing the burden of active, daily marketing.
The time you save allows you to carry out other equally important business activities, such as administration.
2. You Can Save Money
Contrary to popular belief that digital marketing consultants will cost you an arm and a leg, they’ll actually end up saving you money. This is especially the case when you hire a freelancer rather than a digital agency.
That’s because you don’t have to pay full salaries and benefits as you would with an entire internal marketing team. The consultant takes care of their team from their end, and the cost is factored in.
Besides saving you money by cutting down the salaries and benefits you would have paid out, the marketer also saves you money when they bring in their own marketing tools and resources.
3. You Get New Insights and Fresh Perspectives
An outsider brings in new insights and fresh perspectives to your business. You may be using outdated, less effective marketing tactics without even knowing it.
When the external digital marketing consultant comes in, you grant them express permission to scrutinize your current marketing strategy to help you see where you can make improvements.
The scrutinization helps you see what’s working, and what’s not, in your strategy. The consultant can advise you accordingly on where to improve, what other tactics to employ, and what techniques you should let go of.
The new tactics may be totally new to you and the industry, but they will most likely be something the consultant has tested and tried and found to be effective at managing marketing activities in your industry or vertical.
For example, if your marketing has been focused on only one channel, like Facebook, the consultant may introduce you to omnichannel marketing, where you market your business across different channels simultaneously.
4. You Get Quicker Results
A digital marketing consultant helps your business get stunning marketing results in a shorter time frame through marketing automation and fresh perspectives.
The best modern approach to digital marketing is to automate various processes to save time and shorten the turnaround time.
Some common ways to automate marketing activities include using marketing automation tools or software, such as:
- All-in-one marketing automation tools like ActiveCampaign, Pardot, SendinBlue, Hubspot Marketing Hub, Eloqua, Marketo, and Omnisend.
- Email marketing tools like ActiveCampaign, MailChimp,Automizy, Constant Contact, Drip, and Customer.io.
- Project management tools like Trello.
- Lead generation tools like OptinMonster, LeadPages, LinkedIn Sales Navigator, and Qualaroo.
- Pricing automation tools like Prisync, Wiser, Informed, and Skuuudle.
- Advertising automation tools like AdRoll, Zalster, Metadata.io, Revealbot, Shoelace, and Trapica.
- Loyalty and referral marketing tools like Referral Rock, TapMango, Ambassador, Clutch, and Belly by Mobivity.
- Customer relationship management tools like Salesforce and Hubspot CRM.
- Data analytics tools like Google Analytics and Kissmetrics.
- Optimization tools like Hotjar and CrazyEgg.
- Content marketing tools like Grammarly, Respona, Copyscape, Link Whisper, Canva, Buzzsumo, GetResponse, Ahrefs, and Yoast.
- Content management tools like WordPress.
- E-commerce marketing automation tools like Drip.
- Social media marketing tools like Hootsuite, CoSchedule, Buffer, Mention, and Sprout Social.
- Customer journey automation tools like Act-On, LeadSquared, and Infusionsoft by Keap.
The advantage of hiring a digital consultant when it comes to marketing tools is you don’t have to buy these tools yourself if you don’t have them.
Most consultants will already have access to a lot of these tools, and the cost will be cheaper because they split the expenses between their different business clients.
5. Enhanced Productivity and Performance
You can expect the performance and productivity of your marketing efforts to improve when you hire a digital marketing consultant. While this may take some time and require patience, your business will benefit in the end if you hire the right consultant.
The influx of fresh ideas and the use of automation tools will help boost the performance and productivity of each marketing campaign.
Increased performance and productivity translate into time and money saved, as well as higher returns on investment. You should get a more significant profit margin with reduced operational costs when working with an online marketing consultant.
Although higher returns on investment aren’t always an immediate guarantee, you should see commendable improvement in marketing performance translating into higher incomes over time.
6. You Get Access to Larger Networks or Connections
Digital marketing consultants are also well-connected and have extensive networks within the same vertical or industry.
For example, a digital agency that offers lead generation services may have close ties with another that provides customer journey management services. Where one digital consultant lacks expertise, they can connect you with another they can endorse.
What’s more, some digital consultants themselves hire other digital consultants to take care of their backend marketing activities while they take care of the front end, especially working directly with you for your utmost satisfaction.
This ensuing interconnectedness means good things for your business. If you and your digital specialist are able to tap into it, you can reap even more benefits.
As mentioned, you may hire a consultant for a specific part of your marketing strategy while hiring others for different parts. What comes up is a web of reliable digital consultants, each working in the area they are best suited to, while all remain cogs in the same wheel.
7. Enhanced Customer Satisfaction
One of the main goals of any business is to ensure the highest levels of customer satisfaction possible. This applies to both existing and prospective customers.
Without external help, this may not always be possible, especially if your internal marketing and customer service teams are already overstretched.
As a business owner, you want your customers to be happy with your products and services, as this will always bring you more business in the form of repeat buyers and digital word-of-mouth recommendations.
A digital marketing coordinator uses lead generation and customer journey management tools to tap into your target audience and turn potential clients into actual buyers.
The consultant can do this through proper customer engagement practices such as sharing your brand story, personalizing interactions with each customer, actively listening to customers, and implementing a loyalty program or offering free benefits to repeat or loyal clients.
A holistic customer journey rakes in higher returns as your business scores repeat customers that spread the word digitally, even without your knowing it.
Hiring a digital marketing consultant for your business can be one of the best decisions you’ll ever make. You can enjoy benefits such as fresh insights, tapping into new networks, higher returns on investment, saving time, and faster results.
However, your business must first hire the right digital consultant by looking at aspects such as the consultant’s online reviews, case studies, and testimonials from former and current clients.
- Westfalldigitalstrategies: Five Benefits Of Hiring a Marketing Consultant For Your Business in 2021
- Profiletree: Top 5 Benefits of Hiring a Digital Marketing Consultant
- Thenationroar: 5 Benefits of Hiring a Digital Marketing Consultant
- Leadfeeder: 35 Marketing Automation Tools for 2021
- Adnabu: Top 25 eCommerce Marketing Tools to use in 2022